Concorso di Composizione “Carlo Sanvitale”
The –Associazione Amici Della Musica “Guido Albanese”– invites composers of all ages and nationalities to participate in the 1st “Carlo Sanvitale” Composition Competition. The composition should be challenging, but at the same time accessible and playable by young talented players.
The goals of the contest are:
- To offer young composers the possibility to have their works performed live
- The possibility to acquire experience with a chamber ensemble (Complesso da Camera “Carlo Sanvitale”).
The Competition is open to composers and students of all ages and nationalities. The submitted works must satisfy the following criteria:
- Orchestration (max.): 2 violins, viola, cello, piano, tenor or soprano. Works whose instrumentation includes other instruments will not be taken into account for the competition;
- The length of the composition must be between 3 and 10 minutes;
- All complementary documents (music, bio sketch, program notes) have to be submitted to the jury along with the score;
- Scores have to be sent in PDF format to email@example.com. The submission is not deemed successful until a confirmation e-mail has been sent;
- The composition has to be original and never performed before;
- The composer renounces to execution rights for the performance by the Complesso da Camera “Carlo Sanvitale”;
- The difficulty level of the composition has to correspond to the skills of an advanced amateur chamber ensemble with a conductor;
- Each candidate may submit one composition per year. The same composition can be submitted at most over two non-consequent years.
Shall the composition be selected as winner, the composer has to provide to the secretary of the competition the separated parts by July 30, 2018. Tempo, dynamics, articulation and rehearsal letters for the different instruments must be indicated on both the main score and the separated parts. The winner must agree to the following:
- The selected work will be performed and recorded by Complesso da Camera “Carlo Sanvitale” during the Music Day, that will be held on August 12 and 13 in Ortona, Italy.
- The author of the winning work can participate in the rehearsals and the concert that will be held in Istituto Nazionale Tostiano, Ortona, Italy, on August 12. Travel fees will not be refunded. Accommodation will be provided by the Association.
- The author of the selected work has to provide a short description of their work; this will be included in the concert program.
- The author of the selected work agrees to transfer the parts to the performers.
The author of the winning competition will receive a prize of 150 Euros + the commission for a work for orchestra to be performed in January 2019. Composers classified first, second and third will receive a Diploma. The winning composition, together with no more than three other compositions, will be recorded during the Music Day.
How to Participate
All living composers are eligible. The submissions will be received by the Associazione “Amici Della Musica”, made anonymous and then presented to the jury. Deadline for submissions is July 20, 2018. The results will be announced on July 25th, 2018. The jury’s decision is non-contestable and all decisions are final. The premiere of the selected piece will take place in August 12th, 2018 in Ortona (I).
If you want to participate, please send us the following:
- One digitized anonymous copy of the score (PDF) (also digital copy of manuscripts are accepted);
- A computer-generated recording (if possible)
- A copy of a bank transfer for the amount of 30 Euros to “Amici Della Musica Guido Albanese” IBAN: IT83R0605077780CC0520081776 SWIFT: CRPCIT3J Subject: “Iscrizione 2018”
Communication will be held in Italian, English or French. The Italian version of this call for submissions should be considered definitive. Translations are without guarantee.
- Mykolas Natalevicius, Lietu
vos Kompozitorių Sąjunga (LT)
- Simone Di Felice, Kappelmeister dell’Opera di Francoforte (D)
- Levente Török, Kapellmeister del Teatro di Regensburg (D)
- 3 Performers belonging to Complesso da Camera “Carlo Sanvitale” will be selected on June 2018.