Second International Composition Competition “Carlo Sanvitale”
Organised by “Amici della Musica – Guido Albanese”
The –Associazione Amici Della Musica “Guido Albanese”– invites composers of all ages and nationalities to participate in the 2nd “Carlo Sanvitale” Composition Competition. The composition should be challenging, but at the same time accessible and playable by young talented players. The goals of the contest are:
- To offer young composers the possibility to have their works performed live
- The possibility to acquire experience with a chamber ensemble (Complesso da Camera “Carlo Sanvitale”).
The Competition is open to composers and students of all ages and nationalities. The submitted works must satisfy the following criteria:
- Orchestration (max.): 2 violins, viola, cello, piano, tenor or soprano. Works whose instrumentation includes other instruments will not be taken into account for the competition;
- The length of the composition must be between 3 and 10 minutes;
- All complementary documents (music, bio sketch, program notes) have to be submitted to the jury along with the score;
- Scores have to be sent in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org The submission is not deemed successful until a confirmation e-mail has been sent;
- The composition has to be original and never performed before;
- The composer renounces to execution rights for the performance by the Complesso da Camera “Carlo Sanvitale”;
- The difficulty level of the composition has to correspond to the skills of an advanced amateur chamber ensemble with a conductor;
- Each candidate may submit one composition per year. The same composition can be submitted at most over two non-consequent years.
Shall the composition be selected as winner, the composer has to provide to the secretary of the competition the separated parts by July 30, 2019. Tempo, dynamics, articulation and rehearsal letters for the different instruments must be indicated on both the main score and the separated parts. The winner must agree to the following:
- The selected work will be performed and recorded by Complesso da Camera “Carlo Sanvitale” during the Music Day, that will be held on August 12 and 13 in Ortona, Italy.
- The author of the winning composition can participate to the rehearsals and the concert that will be held in Istituto Nazionale Tostiano, Ortona, Italy, on August 12th or 13th. Travel fees will not be refunded. Accommodation will be provided by the Association.
- The author of the selected work has to provide a short description of their work; this will be included in the concert program.
- The author of the selected work agrees to transfer the parts to the performers.
The author of the winning competition will receive a prize of 150 Euros. Composers classified first, second and third will receive a Diploma. The winning composition, together with no more than three other compositions, will be recorded during the Music Day.
Furthermore, the Jury will select, out of the first three classified, a composer that will be appointed “Composer in residence” in the diocese of Agnone-Trivento. This composer will be commissioned to write a composition for the organ of the San Marco church in Agnone (IS, I). This organ dates back from the XVIII century, holds only one keyboard and features the Scavezza octave. The selected composer will have to spend three days, in August 2019, in the city of Agnone, to match the composition to the organ. The resulting composition will be performed by organist Simone Perrotta during the next musical season of “Progetto Culturale della Diocesi di Agnone/Trivento”
How to Participate
All living composers are eligible. The submissions will be received by the Associazione “Amici Della Musica”, made anonymous and then presented to the jury. Deadline for submissions is June 15, 2019. The results will be announced on July 1st, 2019. The jury’s decision is non-contestable and all decisions are final. The premiere of the selected piece will take place in August 12th or 13th 2019 in Ortona (I).
If you want to participate, please send us the following:
- One digitized anonymous copy of the score (PDF) (also digital copy of manuscripts are accepted);
- A computer-generated recording (if possible)
- A copy of a bank transfer for the amount of 30 Euros to
“Amici Della Musica Guido Albanese”
Subject : “Iscrizione 2019”
Communication will be held in Italian, English or French. The Italian version of this call for submissions should be considered definitive. Translations are without guarantee.
- Celso Mojola, Professor of composition at “Escola Superior de Música da Faculdade Cantareira”, São Paulo (BR)
- Bartomeu Moll Mas, Artistic Director of the Festival « Phona, cicle de noves musiques de Mallorca » (ES)
- Simone Di Felice, Kappelmeister of Opera-Frankfurt (D)
- Marco Reghezza, First Prize of the Competition « Carlo Sanvitale » in 2018 (I)
- 3 members of the Chamber Ensamble “Carlo Sanvitale”, to be selected on June 2019.